LONGMEADOW HIGH SCHOOL | 95 GRASSY GUTTER ROAD | LONGMEADOW, MA 01106 | P 413-565-4220 | F413-565- 4233
SENIORS AND JUNIORS ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND meetings with college admissions counselors. Lists of college visits are posted in Naviance Family Connection. Students can sign up for a visit through Naviance but they must obtain a pass from their classroom teachers, 24 hours in advance, in order to attend.
ATTENDANCE AT COLLEGE VISITS must not interfere with work or with test periods. Teachers shall have the privilege of denying absences from class where it is deemed advisable. Each visit will last about 30 minutes. Classroom teachers can check an attendance sheet in the Guidance Department.
Take responsibility for your academic program (freshman year grades count)
Participate in extracurricular or community activities. Expand your talents and interests. Gain leadership experience and develop socially.
MEET WITH YOUR COUNSELOR
Meet with your counselor to discuss and update your academic plan.
Work hard in your classes and reach our for help if needed. You are your own best advocate!
TAKE THE PRE-ACT AND PSAT
Register and take the PSAT (optional) in the fall
MEET WITH YOUR COUNSELOR
Review the results of your Pre-ACT and PSAT. Continue to discuss and update your academic plan. Begin to develop your post-secondary plans.
NAVIANCE FAMILY CONNECTION
Become familiar with Naviance Family Connection, a comprehensive website that you can use to help in making plans about your courses, colleges, and careers (Counseling to distribute login information).
Evaluate your personality, interests, learning style and skills by completing the StrengthsExplorer, Do What You Are Learning Style Inventory and Career Interest Profiler in Naviance Family Connection.
Look for an interesting summer opportunity - job, volunteer position, education program.
REGISTER AND TAKE THE PSAT
- Register and take the PSAT (optional) in the fall. Review results of PSAT to see where extra work or skill improvement is needed
- Attend the junior counselor meeting to: Set-up a testing timeline for SAT’s and/or ACT’s.
- Discuss whether you should take SAT Subject Tests
- Plan your senior year courses (Remember that senior year courses and grades are important in the college admission process)
- Discuss your post-secondary/college plans (complete the College Planning Questionnaire in Naviance before your appointment)
- Attend the Junior Parent Night.
BEGIN YOUR COLLEGE SEARCH
- Review your Junior booklet to keep you on track.
- Visit the LHS website>College Planning>Junior Year.
- Research colleges in Naviance. Add colleges to “Colleges I Am Thinking About” in Naviance
- Visit colleges while classes are still in session. Take a campus tour and attend admissions information sessions, if offered.
- Think about teachers who might write your recommendations.
- If you plan on competing in Division I or II college sports and want to be eligible to be recruited by colleges, you must register with the NCAA Eligibility Center at www.eligibilitycenter.org
SUMMER BEFORE SENIOR YEAR
- Update/create a resume of your high school accomplishments, activities, and work in the Resume builder in the About Me tab in Naviance.
- Register early for fall SAT or ACT tests.
- Begin to work on your college essay.
- Move colleges from “Colleges I am Thinking About” to Colleges I Am Applying To” in Naviance.
- Begin completing college applications-The Common Application opens in early August. Use your personal email when creating your account.
- Continue to visit college campuses.
- Complete the Student Data Portfolio to help your counselor write their counselor evaluation. Save your work often so you do not lose it.
- Have your parent(s) complete the Parent Brag Sheet.
GRADES ARE IMPORTANT
- Don’t get senioritis. Senior courses and grades are very important in the college admission decision!
- Register for SAT or ACT tests, if needed.
- Familiarize yourself with the LHS college application procedures located in Senior Booklet found on the LHS website>Counseling>college Planning>Senior Year.
- Evaluate Early Decision, Early Action, and Regular Decision admission option.
- Attend the LHS College Admission Workshop.
- Finalize your list of colleges and add to “Colleges I Am Applying To” in Naviance (Follow the LHS college application procedures in the document library).
Deadlines are very important in the college admission process. Make sure you meet the application deadlines of the colleges and the LHS deadlines as outlined on the Home page in Naviance.
FINANCIAL AID & SCHOLARSHIPS
- Attend the LHS Financial Aid Night.
- Notify your counselor as you receive admission decisions.
- Apply for scholarships – view available scholarships in Naviance.
- Submit your FAFSA soon after October 1st, CSS Profile (if required by college).
- Review financial aid packages.
- Send your deposit to the college you will attend by May 1st.
- Attend the MEFA “Paying the College Bill” Seminar.