The math teachers offer courses in Algebra, Geometry, Pre Calculus, Calculus, Statistics, Trigonometry and Computer Programming. There is even a course called Integrated Mathematics.
LHS math teachers use graphing calculators and computers in some courses to help students learn concepts and to make connections. The teachers also prepare students for success on standardized tests (SATs, ACTs, AP exams, MCAS) and assist students in their mastery of the Massachusetts Mathematics Curriculum Frameworks.
Although only two years of math are required for graduation, most students take four years of math at LHS. Got a question, like "When are we ever going to need this in real life?"... Ask a math teacher!
EXPECTATIONS FOR STUDENT LEARNING
Across all courses students should be able to:
- Analyze and solve problems
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively
- Recognize and make use of structure and patterns
- Construct mathematical arguments and critique the reasoning of others
- Model with mathematics
- Apply appropriate tools strategically
- Attend to precision